http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2009/12/16/fact-or-fiction-myths-in-football/

I've seen this before but I can't find the other links.  I believe it
applies to other sports too such as basketball in the US.

Humans look for patterns and tend to see what they want to see.  You would
most likely have thought you were in form and have attached everything good
you did to that

Regarding management:

   - Hodgson, who is supposedly a good manager was terrible with
   Liverpool.  He was "good" at Fulham but only after spending huge sums on
   players and wages.  Everyone who says he's good never explains why he was
   rubbish at Liverpool.
   - Dalgleish seemed to improve Liverpool.  They have the fourth highest
   wage bill in the league but they are sixth at the moment.  Underperformance
   by my thinking.  The only thing that happened was to turn one good striker
   into two good ones by converting Torres into Carroll and Suarez.  Nice
   business, but not really football coaching.  We also know that he was
   "good" at Blackburn but recall that they were spending money like water on
   the best players in the world back when five million was a transfer
   record.  He also took Newcastle from 4th to 2nd to 14th and got sacked for
   it.  He's basically won trophies with teams that should be winning trophies
   (much like Fergusson and Wenger)
   - Redknapp got Southampton relegated after nearly thirty years in the
   top flight, although he seems to overperform with Spurs at the moment.
   - Macleish got Birmingham relegated but is doing OK at Villa.  If he was
   a bad manager he's be taking Villa down too?
   - Coyle was great at Burnley and is now rubbish with Bolton
   - Steve McClaren is reckoned to be one of the most overperforming
   managers but look what happens when he has no money.

My point is that managers become the totems that everything that happens at
the club gets attached too.  If he buys a lot of new players and the team
does better it's because of the manager.  But in reality it's almost
entirely because of money.

--
Boo! Thick Mick Out.