On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Maurice Diamantini wrote:

> Le 10 déc. 03, à 11:39, Patrick Gundlach a écrit :
>
> > Bob Kerstetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >> ... that a user like me with no root access
> >> might encounter to get the system to run. In short, someone who can
> >> lead me in small steps through the installation process."
> >>
> >> Do such instructions already exist? Or, if someone can provide that
> >> type of help, please contact me offlist and I'll put y'all together.
> >
> > I have put some instructions at http://levana.de/context/ I could
> > help with installation steps.
>
> I think Hans provided a limited version for a context standalone
> distribution.
> But I had problem for install it (whith perl) so I give up.
>
> Also the standard tetex distribution provided with fink (on MacOSX-10.3)
> did'n work for me (some itemize bug), and I had to install the texlive
> distribution.
>
> The texlive is very nice because it is complete. But it is very heavy
> (only the demo version old on a single CD-ROM : the full texlive
> take 1.2 Go and need a DVD !)

I don't have the distribution in the hand, but i think the full texlive is
in a DVD, beacause in the same DVD there is a copy of CTAN. I think a
runing copy of TeXLive can be extracted from this DVD to a CD-ROM ( or
two)

> Because it contains all old stuff that any LaTeX/TeX distribution should
> contain to be compatible with every TeX based document from the
> last few decade ;-)
> - every package which was ever able to do multicols
> - every package which allows to do clever table
> - every package which allows to do verbatim, ...
>
> But ConTeXt is an independant, modern TeX based distribution (even if
> it don't (yet) know about simple html :-).
>
> So was do we need to be able to switch from LaTeX to ConTeXt?
> - a simple standard tetex distib for our old LaTeX document
> - a standalone ConTeXt distribution similar to the texlive
>    in the idea
>
> This ConTeXt-live should be multiplatform and contain:
> - all uptodate reference doc about ConTeXt tools
> - all available exemples or model documents
> - all contrib extention (m-bib, math, ...)
> - the TeX/Metapost and perl distribution.
> - all tools (xml, html, ....)
>
> This could be distibute as iso image and could be
> use as simple (no privilege) user.
>
> This would also make much easier to give acces to context to
> beginer (without the need of texmf experience).

I'm a ConTeXt beginer, but i think that texmf is necesary, expecially for
fonts, isn't it?

> Also, what is missing for ConTeXt versus LaTeX
> 1 - some good LaTeX class emulation
>      (a simple "table of content" is uggli in ConTeXt)
> 2 - some exemples for writing mathemaics using the new Giuseppe
>      math packages
> 3 - some mean to write xml or html FROM ConTeXt (and NOT the reverse!)
> 3 - some package or binding to Lilypond (for writing music/midi and xml)
> 4 - ...

chears,

Zunbeltz