On 10/22/2021 4:16 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:

Am 22.10.2021 um 11:31 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl>:

Am 17.07.2021 um 12:45 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>:

\startMPpage
   draw lmt_openstreetmap [
       filename = "hasselt.osm"
       grid     = "dots",
   ] ;
\stopMPpage

The hasselt osm file is sime 12 MB, the colorful hasselt pdf file just below 1
MB so that's okay (3.7 sec processing time on my machine so if all claims are
right sub seconds on a fast new apple).

I finally tried this, hoping to replace my Maperitive workflow.

With a Bonn map from https://download.bbbike.org/osm/bbbike/ of 724 MB I
started it last night (~13 h before), and it still didn’t finish. No messages
after:

openstreetmap   > processing file '/Users/hraban/Downloads/ConTeXt/Bonn.osm'
openstreetmap   > original size 713811948 bytes, stripped down to 603309215
bytes

Maybe I should try smaller files ;)

Indeed:

openstreetmap   > processing file '/Users/hraban/Downloads/ConTeXt/Limburg.osm'
openstreetmap   > original size 12431810 bytes, stripped down to 8768209 bytes
openstreetmap   > xml data loaded
openstreetmap   > 859154 characters metapost code, preprocessing time 3.165
seconds
pdfview         | command: open "osm-test.pdf" 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
mtx-context     | pdfview overhead: 0.005 seconds
system          | total runtime: 9.211 seconds of 9.328 seconds

The PDF is 488 kB.

Redefining color works, if you know what you’re looking for – and it’s partly
really strange what is marked how...
Seems like I should start to work on OSM again.

yes, and we need to add more heuristics (i already added some after rendering don knuths university site (apart from the many fast food venue research institutes are also marked 'interestingly')

Are there any plans for text labels, e.g. street names? (I guess these are
really tricky.)
depends on how