> On 16 Jul 2021, at 20:55, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> On 7/15/2021 10:30 PM, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>> On 15 Jul 2021, at 18:58, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was wondering about that too. I admit that I looked into maps years ago
>>> but never could find quality data files.
>> Does this help?
>> <https://www.naturalearthdata.com>
> i was halfway writing as reader for that fiel format when i noticed that is
> is also quite low res so i gave up on that and started playing (extending)
> with an more interesting alternative that mojca and i wrote years ago at a
> meeting

Off the top of my head I'm not aware of any higher resolution sources of global
data - what scale were you thinking of?

For the UK there are free maps down to street level, either as a single file or
API. The API details are here:
<https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-government/products/maps-api>

The license allows free use for apps made available to the public.

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK