> Am 17.07.2021 um 12:45 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>:

>>> Off the top of my head I'm not aware of any higher resolution sources of
>>> global data - what scale were you thinking of?
>> Can you work with OpenStreetMap data?
>> https://planet.openstreetmap.org
>> http://download.geofabrik.de
>> https://download.bbbike.org/osm/
>> I didn’t find excerpts that only have e.g. country borders or rivers. But
>> with usual XML tools you could extract those.
> Indeed, that is what I was referring too. Mojca found this:
>  https://osm-boundaries.com/

Ah, our mails crossed...

> At a bachotex meeting (years ago, when the ctx group donated a nice roadmap
> display to the conference) we made an openstreetmap -> metapost style but
> afaik that never made it into a module. So, when I remembered that I updated
> it. I can now render my hometown (need to figure out colors) quite okay. (One
> can export an osm file in openstreetmap but with some limitations on size.)
>
> I have to play a bit more with the style before I define it useable but the
> interface is liek this:
>
> % where i live
>
> \startMPpage
>    draw lmt_openstreetmap [
>        filename = "hasselt.osm"
>        grid     = "dots",
>    ] ;
> \stopMPpage
>
> % island in paris
>
> \startMPpage
>    draw lmt_openstreetmap [
>        filename = "e:/tmp/map.osm"
>    ] ;
> \stopMPpage
>
> The hasselt osm file is sime 12 MB, the colorful hasselt pdf file just below
> 1 MB so that's okay (3.7 sec processing time on my machine so if all claims
> are right sub seconds on a fast new apple).
>
> Of course I need to make colors and what gets rendered configurable (via the
> interface). It's more about the fun aspect .. no need to typeset complete
> routes because that's what the web is for.

For our architectural guides I make maps with OSM data and Maperitive. It’s a
PITA (sooo slow with Mono on OSX and hadly documented), but works.
Maperitive uses "mrules" style files (example attached).

[call]

mono --desktop Maperitive/Maperitive.Console.exe -defaultscript=false
../baukultur.mscript
inkscape -z -f citymap.svgz -A citymap.pdf

[baukultur.mscript]

set-setting name=map.decoration.attribution value=false
set-setting name=map.decoration.grid value=false
set-setting name=map.decoration.scale value=false
set-setting name=map.rendering.font-family value="AlegreyaSans"

use-ruleset location=Maperitive/Rules/baukultur.mrules
// load some additional data, e.g. markers
load-source archiguide.osm
// exported OSM city map
load-source bonn.osm

// Stadthalle BG
move-pos y=50.68064 x=7.15849 zoom=17
set-home
set-geo-bounds 7.153,50.6840,7.162,50.6772
set-print-bounds-geo 7.153,50.6840,7.162,50.6772
export-svg file=citymap.svgz compatibility=inkscape map-scale=5000

Hraban