I basically agree with everything you say, Jean-Pierre. Publishers are
modern-day robber barons, and they have been stifling and exploiting scholars
and scholarship for many years now. Behemoths such as Brill, de Gruyter, or
Elsevier are bankrupting libraries in the entire world. However, we scholars
also have some responsibility: if we could agree with each other, we could
easily bypass the big publishers and have our critical editions (in a variety
of formats) on our university’s websites. But we don’t do that: younger
scholars need the validation of big name publications to build reputation and
find a job, older scholars (myself included) are vain and/or old-fashioned and
prefer a “real” book.

For your questions at the end: as you know, TEI is an insanely huge beast.
Nobody will be willing and/or able to implement all of it in ConTeXt. What we
need is actual use cases: scholars coming here and building up the expertise
via the work they’re actually doing. Preferably in smaller installments so the
developers and advanced users can slowly prepare bits and pieces of these
stylesheets. No-one is going to look at a 400-page edition with all kinds of
special needs in one go; we start with a chapter, a few pages, and we make our
way. That’s what I expected when I wrote the wiki page on TEI xml: that it
would slowly develop into something more comprehensive. Alas, it has been
sitting there for 11 years… Every now and then, someone will appear on the
mailing list and say: I need four apparatuses and six parallel translations and
bells and whistles at every paragraph, but when you ask for real examples and
specifications, they ride out into the sunset, never to be heard of again… So:
I’m all for continuing in this direction, but we need some continuity. (And,
not to brag, but still: I even managed to obtain some funding a couple of years
ago to improve the bibliographical support in ConTeXt; if you have a real
project, you can always allocate some funding for these things). As for
learning TEI: I really think this is absolutely inevitable; even if new formats
will be invented in the future (and TEI has serious shortcomings for many sorts
of manuscript traditions), they will probably do so with TEI as a starting
point.

I’m not working on a critical edition right now, but I have done some
preparatory work and am willing to chip in!

All best

Thomas