Hi Max, Alan, Bruce, Hans, et.al

I solved my four issues with \unit spacing. In the process, I prevented
unwanted line breaks and removed an overzealous backspace before division
symbols. Below is a MWE that shows all of these issues, as well as pictures of
the result with the unmodified phys-dim.mkxl and with my modified
phys-dim.mkxl. The final result is exactly what I wanted.

If anyone wants my changes, either for their own use or to improve the
distributed phys-dim.mkxl, Iā€™m happy to share.

Thanks for all of your comments!
Gavin

MWE:

\setuppapersize[A5]

\starttext

The \type{\unit} command in text produces \unit{1.23e5 kg m^2/s^2}.

Inline math \type{$\unit$} produces $\unit{1.23e5 kg m^2/s^2}$.

Display math produces
\startformula
 \unit{1.23e5 kg m^2/s^2} + \unit{8.64e5 newton m} = \unit{987,000 joule}
\stopformula

Line breaking in math:

{\hsize=0pt $G = \unit{6.6743e-11 m3 kg-1 s-2}$}

\blank
Line breaking in text:

{\hsize=0pt \unit{6.6743e-11 m3 kg-1 s-2}}

\stoptext

Output with unmodified phys-dim.mkxl:

Output with my modified phys-dim.mkxl: