On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 20:51:58 -0400 (EDT)
Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Did you source the `setuptex` script, which sets the correct path.

My PATH is set to
PATH=./context/tex/texmf-freebsd-amd64/bin:/home/MyAccount/context/tex/texmf-freebsd-amd64/bin:...

If my current working directory ("./") is a project that contains its
very own subdirectory ./context/, then this is used to typeset the
project. If not, it falls back on my own general standalone
$HOME/context/, and if that does not exist, then it falls back on, say,
a systemwide TeXlive installation.

This is all that is needed to have many versions coexist.

Alan

P.S. It can be a good practice to keep a ConTeXt standalone version
associated with each project, which can be "frozen" with the project,
assuring that the sources can always be typeset in the future "as is".

P.P.S. This per-project ./context/ subdirectory can include multiple
tex/texmf-system-architecture subdirectories and the project shared
between different machines, all in happy coexistence. (Hans told me a
while ago that they all use unique luametatex caches.)