I removed some of the \grk. ( I had inserted them because I was uncertain of the effect entering math mode would have on my body font choice. In Plain TeX, I think it was necessary to specify the font.)

\grk{\overline{kj}} still fails because of insufficient symbol fonts (just as \grk{\overbar{kj}}).

Alan