Am 30.05.24 um 19:25 schrieb Kip Warner:
On Thu, 2024-05-30 at 18:26 +0200, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
Is this a message "I'm volunteering to maintain such a ppa" or a
message "wouldn't it be nice if someone went out of their way to make
my life easier"? Just out of curiosity.

Right now it's the latter due to time constraints. Although I have
helped a number of free software projects get PPAs up and running.

Usually once they're up there's not much to do after. Since ConTeXt is
already Debianized by the Debian project, you probably can start with
their debian/ folder, edit as needed, and then you should be good. You
can also set an automatic build recipe in the PPA so each commit to SCM
results in a new nightly.

You'll get a lot more people using and testing your newer release this
way. Food for thought.

I can assure you the worldwide TeX community has thought about their approach a few times. TeX Live packaging (i.e. mostly LaTeX packaging) is different to Linux packaging. Somebody explained it to me in detail, but I can’t remember… At least TeX Live’s yearly release setup doesn’t fit… well, anything else (I find it annoying). But for release date, many of the active contributors make sure everything fits together.

ConTeXt is different in that the distribution is closely coupled to binary versions. It would be possible to set up a PPA independent of TeX Live, I guess. (Have binary & macros in the same package, maybe docs & fonts separate…) But somebody would have to maintain it.

Hraban

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /