> On 30 May 2024, at 21:19, Henning Hraban Ramm <te...@fiee.net> wrote:
>
> Am 30.05.24 um 19:25 schrieb Kip Warner:
>> On Thu, 2024-05-30 at 18:26 +0200, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>>> Is this a message "I'm volunteering to maintain such a ppa" or a
>>> message "wouldn't it be nice if someone went out of their way to make
>>> my life easier"? Just out of curiosity.
>> Right now it's the latter due to time constraints. Although I have
>> helped a number of free software projects get PPAs up and running.
>> Usually once they're up there's not much to do after. Since ConTeXt is
>> already Debianized by the Debian project, you probably can start with
>> their debian/ folder, edit as needed, and then you should be good. You
>> can also set an automatic build recipe in the PPA so each commit to SCM
>> results in a new nightly.
>> You'll get a lot more people using and testing your newer release this
>> way. Food for thought.
>
> I can assure you the worldwide TeX community has thought about their approach
> a few times.
> TeX Live packaging (i.e. mostly LaTeX packaging) is different to Linux
> packaging. Somebody explained it to me in detail, but I can’t remember…
> At least TeX Live’s yearly release setup doesn’t fit… well, anything else (I
> find it annoying). But for release date, many of the active contributors make
> sure everything fits together.
>
> ConTeXt is different in that the distribution is closely coupled to binary
> versions. It would be possible to set up a PPA independent of TeX Live, I
> guess. (Have binary & macros in the same package, maybe docs & fonts
> separate…) But somebody would have to maintain it.

I'd be able to maintain a Context PPA but there already seems to be one:
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/context>

The dates on that page confuse me, however. It says the last upload of the
package was 2023-05-05 but that it somehow contains the Context version from
2024-04-09. I'm not quite sure how that can be the case?

Also it's not clear to me whether that PPA is Context alone or TeXlive plus a
bunch of TeX stuff including Context? (I could install it of course.) :-)

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /