On Jan 4, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> doesn't \char<number> work?

Depends... fontforge tells me what I'm looking for is, e.g., character
803 in TeXGyreHeros-Regular, so I tried this:

\starttypescript[serif][greeksymbols][name]
\definefontsynonym [Serif] [name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular]
[features=default]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript[GreekSymbols]
\definetypeface [GreekSymbols] [rm] [serif] [greeksymbols] [default]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[GreekSymbols]

\define{\anglebracketleft}%
{\bgroup\switchtobodyfont[GreekSymbols]\char803\egroup}

I tried several numbers, and get some symbols from TeXGyreHeros, but I
haven't yet found out how luaTeX interprets the \char numbers... OTOH,
this is a workaround:

\define{\anglebracketleft}%
{\bgroup\switchtobodyfont[GreekSymbols]〈\egroup}

but will obviously only work for symbols that are defined in Unicode,
so nothing in the "private" Unicode area. My presentation next week
doesn't use any of those, so I'm saved for today, but will be back in
a few weeks when I need the other stuff as well...

Thanks

Thomas