On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:03:28 +0100
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > doesn't \char<number> work?
>
> Depends... fontforge tells me what I'm looking for is, e.g., character
> 803 in TeXGyreHeros-Regular, so I tried this:
>
> \starttypescript[serif][greeksymbols][name]
> \definefontsynonym [Serif] [name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular]
> [features=default]
> \stoptypescript
> \starttypescript[GreekSymbols]
> \definetypeface [GreekSymbols] [rm] [serif] [greeksymbols] [default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \usetypescript[GreekSymbols]
>
> \define{\anglebracketleft}%
> {\bgroup\switchtobodyfont[GreekSymbols]\char803\egroup}
>
> I tried several numbers, and get some symbols from TeXGyreHeros, but I
> haven't yet found out how luaTeX interprets the \char numbers... OTOH,
> this is a workaround:

It interprets the numbers in the same way as TeX.

> \define{\anglebracketleft}%
> {\bgroup\switchtobodyfont[GreekSymbols]〈\egroup}

What you're looking for is "ANGLE BRACKET, RIGHT-POINTING".

> but will obviously only work for symbols that are defined in Unicode,
> so nothing in the "private" Unicode area. My presentation next week
> doesn't use any of those, so I'm saved for today, but will be back in
> a few weeks when I need the other stuff as well...

The following should work.

% engine=luatex

\definecharacter anglebracketleft  \char"2329
\definecharacter anglebracketright \char"232A

\starttext

text \anglebracketleft text\anglebracketright\ text

\stoptext

Wolfgang