Dear Idris,
سلام
you are right. I found that \setupheads[separator=something] works,
but I found a mysterious bug. Whatever one declares as a separator,
when you make a reference to the chapter, section, etc, lua writes the
number with periods.compile the attached file and look at the
reference.
Best regards,
ps: I sent a test file, but it needs a moderator confirmation. I will
send it to your email.
% engine=luatex
\setupheads[separator=--]
\starttext
\font\test=lmroman10-regular*test at 20pt
\chapter{First}
\section[one]{one}
No matter what you have declared as section separator, here I am \in[one].
\stoptext