On 9-2-2010 23:30, Peter Münster wrote:

In the current version of MKIV, there is no support for language-specifics,
so there is actually no support for switching back from French to another
language.

in mkiv language specific features are and will be part of the mechanisms themselves (and are then driven by mainlanguage)

1. the 1. paragraph of each section is indented (LATEX only);
2. the default items in itemize environment
3. vertical spacing in general LATEX lists is shortened;

to me these sounds like a design issue, not related to french

4. footnotes are displayed "à la française".

What is this?

2. `double punctuation' (: ; ! ?) is made active

remark: in mkiv not active using active chars as we have better mechanisms