On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 12:54:18 +0200
>>>>>> "Andreas" == Andreas Schneider <ak...@gmx.de> wrote:

Hello Andreas,

Andreas> If you spend some time on the mailing list your probably make
Andreas> the contrary observation. There are countless cases where
Andreas> Hans, Taco or Wolfgang implement some features to fulfill a
Andreas> request of a user. Nearly every time I had a question/problem,
Andreas> a solution came up within _hours_. That's quite impressive
Andreas> imho. That also means that many solutions can be found by
Andreas> searching the mailing list archives ... not few things are
Andreas> also mentioned in the Wiki. And for the very basic problems,
Andreas> the "old" manuals still mostly apply.

Thank you for your post. You are touching one of the very important
aspects of ConTeXt which lot of people here do not or does not want to
understand...

I'm not the one who is living typography or for whom typesetting
and/or writing books is bread & butter...When I did two books some
years ago I was not confident I could make it due to the lack of
up-to-date docs.

I picked two LaTeX books (Kopka/Daly & Companion) which helped me to
publish the books using LaTeX/LyX and I helped the project by sending
donation as well as put credit in the book for all the tools which I
used. (These days I'm TUG member and give some modest donation for TeX
Gyre and LuaTeX projects.)

So, the main variable in equation here is: TIME!

I simply do not have time to research mailing lists, wikis etc. to
find about the 'application', but prefer to buy the book (I'm book guy
accustomed to learn from books) and read it afk to learn basic things.

Then, I might get into mailing list, IRC, forums etc. when faced with
very specific problems.

That's the reason, I believe, why many people are buying books - to
quickly get 'in action' as Manning publishers explain their book
series.

However, it might be that ConTeXt prefer to always stay niche-product
and to, as Haskellers say: "Avoid success at all costs.” :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6