Thanks Wolfgang. That makes that matter clearer. But how do I get those Arabic
footnotes to be right aligned as well?

May I also ask: what is the purpose, at least in my example that I'm learning
from, of:
\definefontfeature[arabic][default][mode=node,script=arabic] ?

I ask, because when I switched it from [default][default] to [arabic][default]
as you suggested, the Arabic glyphs no longer connected, and the text actually
spilled over into the footnote space. When I commented it out, the glyphs
connected again.

Finally, so that I can start learning on my own without bothering you and
everyone else on the list, where would I have systematically found a discussion
of RtL feaures such as rule=right? Or are there any preexisting example files
of complicated Arabic that I could study and learn from?

Kind regards,
Talal

p.s. Thanks for the \definestartstop environment. As you can see, I'm still
learning the basics of ConTeXt. :-)