On 5-10-2010 5:07, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

Finally, so that I can start learning on my own without bothering you and
everyone else on the list, where would I have systematically found a discussion
of RtL feaures such as rule=right?

Maybe in the list archive but often such things are discussed offline, i found
it myself in the source.

Or are there any preexisting example files of complicated Arabic that I could
study and learn from?

I guess the wiki page you already know is currently the only source.

just a remark in addition to WS:

all bidi related code is under construction, that is, we're trying to figure out a decent (useable) model for complex mixed direction documents

we implement this stepwise looking at each structure element and decide what is needed, so best is just to notice what needs to be done and discuss it

apart from lefttoright/righttoleft we also need to deal with consistent positioning

as we need to make manuals in due time we started with verbatim (there will be several bidi models available; maybe Idris can send you the draft on bidi)

anyhow, here's some more: in addition to align options we also will have locations reflecting the direction:

\definefont[MyMono][file:dejavusansmono sa 1]

\setuptyping             [style=\MyMono,numbering=line,start=1,step=1]
\definetyping [RLtyping] [align=r2l]
\definetyping [LRtyping] [align=l2r]

\starttext

\startbuffer[sample]
\startLRtyping
At the left!
أهلا
\stopLRtyping

\startRLtyping
At the right!
أهلا
\stopRLtyping

\startalignment[l2r]
\starttyping
At the left!
أهلا
\stoptyping
\stopalignment

\startalignment[r2l]
\starttyping
At the right!
أهلا
\stoptyping
\stopalignment
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer[sample] \page

\startbuffer[settings]
\setuplinenumbering[typing][location=left]
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer[settings] \getbuffer[settings,sample] \page

\startbuffer[settings]
\setuplinenumbering[typing][location=right]
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer[settings] \getbuffer[settings,sample] \page

\startbuffer[settings]
\setuplinenumbering[typing][location=begin]
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer[settings] \getbuffer[settings,sample] \page

\startbuffer[settings]
\setuplinenumbering[typing][location=end]