On Tuesday 05 October 2010 11:15 PM, Florian Wobbe wrote:

I used to update TeXLive 2009 successfully with this method, however
I ran into the same error when updating TeXLive 2010. As I did not
succeed and could not figure out what caused the error I installed
minimals without problems. I suggest you install minimals and point
the environment variable OSFONTDIR to your TeXLive tree. This adds
only about 200MiB to your disk which is rather neglectable compared
to the 2.7GiB of a full TeXLive.

I trust that minimals is what I was updating using with rsync and that it is a cut-down version of the ConTeXt distribution that came with TeXLive 2010.

Can I put minimals in $TEXMFHOME which is ~/texmf on my system? That seems to be the place where I can keep stuff newer than TeXLive 2010 without conflict. Can minimals function standalone, though, or will I run into mismatches with TeXLive 2010 again?

Also, should OSFONTDIR then point to /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/ or to something else?

see
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20101003.061025.ee87f16c.en.html

Thank you. That email was very helpful.

Chandra