On 1/10/2013 9:13 AM, Meigen, Thomas wrote:

.... and as life is already complicated enough ;-), my decision
has more to do with usability and reliability than with the number
of options. I am a software developer for more than 20 years now,
so I know very well how easy it is to implement some
"bug in recently updated XYZ code" as Hans had diagnosed my
problem. But would it be possible to use ConTeXt without
having to care about bugs in updated code or broken links
between different modules...?

some of the presentation styles started out a experiments and therefore can have code that should be adapted if experiments have turned feature

anyhow, the transition from mkii to mkiv involves rewrites and therefore there can be issues but normally they're fixed rather fast; also, updating is easy (just run first-setup again); it's the price we pay for using luatex, which is evolving

So before turning to additional modules with additional questions like...

- if I use simple- or complexslide , do I need to install the
visualcounter-module before?
- if so, is there a clear documentation of the required modules?

.... I wanted to see whether a rather simple example without
any additional module would work out of the box.
Well, it did partially... ;-)

you only need modules for special kind of functionality or rendering (like presentations) although one can make presentations without extra modules (just set the papersize to S6 or so)