On 11/27/2013 10:20 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
On 2013-11-27 Hans Hagen wrote:
On 2013-11-27 Hans Hagen wrote:
On 11/27/2013 8:44 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:

during my attempts to patch the Palatino's dotless 'i' I found that
this font is parsed incorrectly by ConTeXt.

Comparing index/name info of individual glyphs in the font software
and resulting pala.tma file there is the following difference:

Index | Name - font    | Name - tma
1110  | dotlessi.smcp  | i.sc        (1)
1170  | i.smcp         | i.sc        (2)

The first one should have IMHO a different name, e.g. dotlessi.sc
(to keep conventions). The same name for two glyphs
might be dangerous.

the font pala.ttf has two entries i.sc and i see no reference to
*.smcp

There is no 'i.sc' glyph available according to the font software,
only those .smcp, listed in the smcp6 table.

As there are only .sc names in the TMA file, I suppose there is some
kind of name normalization. But not very precise...

mtxrun --script font --save pala.ttf

I can confirm your observations. In this lua export there is no .smcp, but
doubled i.sc records. Strange. There must be really some kind of
normalization there...

the fact that there are two i.sc in the font is suspicious ... best check the font in fontforge ... one never know what kind of things other programs do

It would be nice to review the corresponding part of the code as it is IMHO
potentially dangerous.

afaik no magic there