> On 7 Jul 2018, at 16:04, Alan Braslau <braslau.l...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Does it drive you crazy to see TeX users write $t = time$?
> (I see this all of the time by LaTeX users in Beamer presentations.)
>
> One can do better writing $t = {\rm time}$ (maybe)
> or in ConTeXt $t = \mathrm{time}$.
> Sometimes, too, I might write $t = \text{time}$.

The last would be easiest to remember when using it less often. Strictly, it is
different, because it could mean italics, as may be used in formulas. The
upright letters are called normal here:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_Alphanumeric_Symbols

> We also have the commands \mathematics{} that can be used in place of
> the TeX shorthand $...$, and this also has the shortcut \m{...}.
>
> I thought that it might be useful to have an equivalent escape, to be
> used as $t = \t{time}$. What do other users think?
>
> OK, \m{t = \t{time}} might be a bit funky...

If one is using italics for text in math formulas, that would be logical.