Hi Alan, Wolfgang and Hans Åberg,

As far as I am concerned, when I have to add a text to a math formula I use
\mbox, as in the example

\startformula
A := \left\{f : {\Bbb R}^2 \longrightarrow {\Bbb R} \; ; \; f \mbox{ is
measurable and }  \int_{{\Bbb R}^2}|f(x)|dx < \infty \right\}.
\stopformula

The advantage being that if the above formula appears in an environment such as
a Theorem (where the text is typeset in italic, or slanted) the text in the
above \mbox will be also in italic or slanted.

I don't think it would be a good idea to add new commands to treat text in a
math formula: the existing possiblities are more than satisfactory, and
moreover situations where one has to add text to a formula are not that common.
So using a command like \mbox, or \text, or \mathtext, or whatever, is not that
time consuming.

Best regards: OK