In many "less-rigorous" uses of equations, there is an abundant need
to include words (text) in mathematics, and using \mathtext{} or \mbox{}
or whatever is unwieldy.

Readable subscripts, self-explanatory variable names, etc. might be
text and not symbols. These situations can be very common. This is why I
asked (1) what is the right method, and (2) what do others think about
the shorthand \t{}, similar to the shorthand \m{}?

Alan