Hi,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 2:55 PM, <questi...@ctsg.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Simone,
>
> -Would the PI3 would be OK for a full 24mbps ADSL2+ connection if placed
> between the modem and the first switch in series at full speed?

I would say yes although I recommend you to do some testing.

> -I understand the PI3 would work using mirror port on the switch, but for
> customers without a managed switch what steps, if any are required to make
> the PI3 work in series like the EdgeRouter. I would add 2x ethernet
> adapters. 1 for modem, 1 for switch and 1 for management if required and
> any config steps?

in that case, I would set the rpi with a bridge interface
-i<modem>,<switch> so that you can intercept all internet traffic and use
the management interface to control the rpi

> -I plan on using only ntopng at all sites using PI3s with a licensed
> version at our office with individual adapters configured for each off-site
> ntopng.
>
> -Im hoping the PI3 in series will not slow down connections up above
> 100mbps? In which case it would be future proof for our up coming national
> internet connections upgrades and could be used in series between the modem
> and the switch. I guess the only way to achieve this, if a slow down is
> present is using a managed switch and mirror port.
>
> -If a slow down is present as above, and the PI3 is used via a mirror port
> and not in series, does it provide a full ntopng experience or are the flow
> etc limited?

if ntopng is used in passive mode, that is, it receives traffic from a
mirror port, then it won't affect network performance at all.

> -I notice the command for the PI3 starts nprobe also. I will be trying to
> use ntopng on the PI3 without nprobe if possible. Is the paid nprobe
> required for the ability to use the PI3 in series between the modem and the
> switch?

no it is not required, you can just use ntopng.