Title: Upgrading from NT Domain to Win2K Domain

You'll get this from me every time I see a similar question (having been burned)

There is no right way of doing this. (No wrong way either, just pitfalls)

If you keep the namespace consistent for internal and external, you will need to tweak your DNS internally to allow your users to hit your external web site by adding an A record for www     xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (IP of your corporate web site). This will mean that anytime anyone internal enters www.widgets.com , your DNS will resolve the address entered in the www host record. (thanks 2 Kevin J) This is how I am set up here. My internal clients use my internal DNS servers, and then my DNS forwards down the line for requests outside my domain. My www host record points to the IP of our web site within the DMZ.

If you choose to use a different name space, try something like location.widgets.com (location being any logical name you want to choose), but before you upgrade your servers delete the domain name entred on the DNS tab of TCP/IP properties in NT 4. If you don't, after the upgrade, you will end up with a server called server.widgets.com in the domain location.widgets.com (when the computername should be server.location.widgets.com), and any time you try to add anything to the domain, (including other DC's) you will get an error stating that no domain controller can be contacted for domain location.widgets.com. The only way out of that is to demote the DC back to a server, fix the DNS and start again. If it is your only DC, your domain is gone when you do this, and you get to recreate all of your users, computers, shares, everything from scratch - whoopee!

Clayton Doige
IT Manager MCSE, MCP + I
Gameday International N.V.
Bound in a nutshell, King of infinite space...

T: +5 999 736 0309
C: +5 999 563 1845
F: +5 999 733 1259
E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]