From: Kurt Buff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 3:27 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Voice over ip

I have used (read, used in production and administered from the ground up) two different products that have VOIP capability, and have trained on a third.

The Altiserv package from Altigen is my favorite, and is well worth investigating - I'd purchase it before anything else.

The Televantage package from Artisoft is OK, and worth putting into the mix as a comparison.

The 3com product is interesting, but I don't have enough experience

I've seen the Cisco product, but not recently, although it also looked interesting.

The first two, from Altigen and Artisoft, allow you to place standard analog phones on the desktop, and centralize the VOIP in the server, which incidentally both work well under Win2K. They also have a multitude of other features which make office automation easier.

The other two require you (at my last experience with them) to have proprietary phones, which were much more expensive. This may have changed for either or both of Cisco and 3Com products, however, as I have not seen them in a while.

Kurt