Looks like the missing RAM space is for PCI hot-swap capabilities:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc
=us&objectID=c01199097&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

-----Original Message-----
From: yoth [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 4:16 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: re: HP DL380 G5 and Win2k3 R2 Standard not showing maximum
memory in OS

I am having the same issue with several of the recent dl380 and dl360
servers we've setup in the past 3 months.  They seem to show between
3.25 and 3.4 gigs in the system control panel.  All servers were setup
and OS installed with RAM already installed.  We have been buying
Kingston, rather than HP branded RAM.