"Ken Cornetet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 01/15/2008 08:44:24 AM:

> You are right about loading server 2003, but the problem is the
> chipset on your laptop, not the X86 architecture.

But it is an issue of the X86 architecture :-)  It's showing it's age.
Intel has tricks to get around such limitations (like adding extra bits to
the addressing lines or relocating stuff) but these are fundamental
limitations of an over 30 year old design that are cropping up.

> I?m guessing that most workstation grade chip sets don?t have the
> ability to relocate the shadowed RAM to a physical address above 4GB.

Low end servers also often have this limitation.  Being able to fully
address a full 4 gigs of RAM on a wide variety of motherboards is a pretty
recent innovation, at least for the Intel PC world.

Anyway, I think we agree - it's the chipset, not the OS.

Eric Eskam
The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect any
position of the U.S. Government
"The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange
protein; it rejects it."
-  P. B. Medawar