*>>I'm suggesting the system is broken. In current business environment it
appears as the technical person is working for the project manager. *

Yes, it is broken, but not for the reason you mention here.  It's broken
because the CIO is not sufficiently empowering the PM, and undermining
him/her in a crisis.

*>>I'm saying it should be the other way around. The project manager should
be working for the technical guy.*

What would be the point in that?  You're confusing a PM with a clerical
assistant or technical writer.

The PM is there to ensure that all the pieces needed for successful
completion of a project are surfaced, that the project risks are adequately
documented and mitigated (should be done before the project starts, but that
rarely happens), and that the work is progressing as planned, given all the
issues that are bound to arise.  Most importantly, they keep all the project
stakeholders apprised of the project status so that there are no unpleasant
surprised just at the moment where people are expecting a completed, working
project.

It is not necessary for the PM to be the most technical person on the team
(however "technical" is defined).  In some cases, it's even better when they
aren't, as they don't get trapped in technology religion, but in ensuring
the best resolution to the business problem at hand.

* *

*ASB* *http://about.me/Andrew.S.Baker* *Harnessing the Advantages of
Technology for the SMB market…

*