On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 13:21, Jonathan Link <jonathan.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To put it another way, the data processing group got put out to pasture of
> days gone by was blindsided by the PC revolution.

Not really - they just morphed into the IT staff of today - server
administrators. And, mainframes haven't disappeared - again, it's the
minis that got squeezed. IBM still makes a buncha money on mainframes.

> The current generation
> of tablets are probably the most compelling piece of technology since then.

Perhaps. I've yet to be convinced.

> Teachers and administrators are very interested in tablets because they
> believe they offer so much more capability for viewing and distributing
> content!

The SJRDF is strong, 'tis true. I think the only advantage they show
is weight, and a multi-touch screen. For viewing content, a larger
screen gives better resolution, and for real distribution you still
need the servers on the back end. The capabilities are still lacking,
and the price is still too high.

Kurt