From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 1:14 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: password questions

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Crawford, Scott <crawfo...@evangel.edu> wrote:
> There's a quite dated, yet relevant, article at sysopt about some of
> my findings at http://www.sysopt.com/tutorials/article.php/3532756.

  Scott: That entire analysis is based on the scenario where you have an NTLM
password hash sniffed from the wire, and are using a ten-year-old version of
L0phtCrack.  That's a very narrow focus, and one which isn't even very relevant
in today's world (even if you're on a Windows LAN and can sniff traffic, NTLM
is becoming increasingly rare, so you've got nothing to sniff).

  That analysis is completely irrelevant for the majority of scenarios of
interest, such as public-facing web sites, or any scenario where someone is
trying to attack a password without having an NTLM hash.

  This isn't the first time you've posted that analysis while failing to
appreciate that it's almost completely irrelevant today.  I think you're
suffering from hammer myopia on this issue.  "When all you have is hammer,
everything starts to look like a nail."

-- Ben