For Bare Metal + Free, I think your only options are ESXi and XenServer.

For nearly Bare Metal + Free, check out:

Hyper-V Server 2008 R2  -
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3512
ProxmoxVE - http://pve.proxmox.com/

We ended up using Hyper-V, but not the "nearly bare-metal" one linked above. We
decided to use the full install of Windows Server and run Hyper-V on top so we
could keep the ease of use functionality, 3rd party network and RAID management
compatibility, and it wasn't _that_ much more headroom to have the full windows
experience. The fact that the licensing allows us to the host server "for free"
is nice, too. See:
http://www.quicklearn.us/library/Virtualization.Windows-Server-2008-R2-Virtualization-Licensing.ashx

Proxmox looks awesome for a linux based VM server. I recommend you try this one
only if you're planning a small scale deployment, as they don't have any good
clustering support, yet.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District