From: Matthew W. Ross [mailto:mr...@ephrataschools.org]
Sent: 19 September 2011 17:10
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Virtualisation software

For Bare Metal + Free, I think your only options are ESXi and XenServer.

For nearly Bare Metal + Free, check out:

Hyper-V Server 2008 R2  -
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3512
ProxmoxVE - http://pve.proxmox.com/

We ended up using Hyper-V, but not the "nearly bare-metal" one linked
above. We decided to use the full install of Windows Server and run
Hyper-V on top so we could keep the ease of use functionality, 3rd party
network and RAID management compatibility, and it wasn't _that_ much
more headroom to have the full windows experience. The fact that the
licensing allows us to the host server "for free" is nice, too. See:
http://www.quicklearn.us/library/Virtualization.Windows-Server-2008-R2-V
irtualization-Licensing.ashx

Proxmox looks awesome for a linux based VM server. I recommend you try
this one only if you're planning a small scale deployment, as they don't
have any good clustering support, yet.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District