For an intro, I prefer a class.  That often gives me a nice framework to
build out and experiment from.  If necessary I can pound it out purely from
OOK BUILD LAB
OOK MAKE THINGS
OOK BREAK THINGS
BAM BAM BAM
ME BUILD GUD!

I definitaly can learn purely from a lab, but like to get the broad overview
first.  It gets me away from work and home to somewhere I can get my feet
wet with just the product for a couple of days.

Steven Peck
http://www.blkmtn.org