From: Ben Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 31 January 2008 4:06 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: FYI (vLite)

On Jan 30, 2008 11:41 AM, Rod Trent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>   It's been possible all along, it's just a lot of things (including
>> Microsoft's own stuff) assume C:\WINDOWS or C: and won't work if you
>> change things.
>
> That's not true.

  It is true.  (I can make empty statements, too.)

> The OS uses a %windir% variable that that points to where the OS files are
> no matter what directory it is in.

  I'm aware of %WINDIR% and %SystemDrive%, thanks.  But there's stuff
that wrongly assumes certain locations.  Obviously deficient software,
but there's a lot of that out there, and some of it comes from
Microsoft.

  To pick an example I just saw mention of recently, the docs for the
recent SYSPREP releases say it should be run from C: drive only.
Maybe it might work elsewhere, but Microsoft says C: is the only way
to do it.  So maybe you should tell the people maintaining SYSREP
about %SystemDrive%, eh?

  I've encountered random cases like this plenty of times over the
years.  The MSKB may "confirm that this is a problem in the Microsoft
products listed", but that doesn't really help you if you're stuck.

-- Ben