It's about appropriately determining risk you want to take.  I've had a
huge push to adopt cloud services for much of our infrastructure.  I always
turn it back, how much time can we risk being without access to our
data/resources on the busiest day of the year?  When it's in the cloud, I
can't do a make-fix solution to get partial access restored.

Problems do happen everywhere.  In some places though, I can be in a
position to workaround them or I can be standing around useless like
everyone else.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Andrew S. Baker <asbz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And, it's not like all these on-premise servers has 100% uptime over the
> past few years, what with malware, power issues, hardware failures,
> mistaken configuration problems, and upgrade woes.
>
> Problems happen.  Everywhere.
>
> * *
>
> *ASB* *http://XeeMe.com/AndrewBaker* *Harnessing the Advantages of
> Technology for the SMB market…
>
> *
>

> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Steven Peck <sep...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well then, let's put things in perspective.  I've had my personal mail
>> domain hosted by Microsoft for several years now and I've never experienced
>> an outage.  I know someone with Office 365 and he did.
>>
>> So, have they had outages?  Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo.... sure.  For
>> everyone?  Was it just the free services or ALL of the pay services.  Let's
>> not get into claiming that it affected millions on millions of people when
>> most of the time a few hundred to a few thousand were affected and most had
>> service restored in a few hours.
>>
>> We have some resilience with various apps at work and we work really hard
>> to maintain uptime, yet the storage team missed a small, yet evidently very
>> important check box on the new SAN last weekend and as a result, Monday was
>> a joy to be in the office.  The only thing we could do was wait for the
>> storage team to correct the issue which just took time.
>>
>> So the cloud is no different then anyone's office.  If you have a paid
>> service then you have SLA's and penalties for those not being met.
>>
>> Three of our various data centers will also being going upgrades to the
>> power in the next few months.  While we have some resilience, we aren't
>> that large that we will have all services available when we shut the main
>> site down.  AS a result, we get an outage.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Greg Sweers <gswe...@acts360.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I would say for organizations with less than 200 people scheduled
>>> downtime is the norm.  That is getting shorter with the combination of
>>> "Cloud" technologies and as hardware continues to get cheaper.  I agree
>>> that larger organizations can afford the technology to prevent downtime as
>>> their downtime cost around a 24x7 schedule is easily justified with an ROI.
>>>  I don’t know any SMB's that can't afford an hour downtime in the middle of
>>> the night for automatic patching, reboots, etc...and most of them do LOB
>>> apps upgrades once or twice a year for a few hours..  Hardly a business
>>> case for that kind of tech/software.
>>>
>>> Greg Sweers
>>> CEO
>>> ACTS360.com