From: Michael Leone [mailto:oozerd...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:06 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Replacing a print server - publishing printers in directory?

So I need to replace one of my current print servers (Win2003, 32bit) with a
new VM (Win2008 R2, 64bit). Some of you may recall my emails about this
recently. Anyway, I have the new server ready, all printers defined on it (with
the same names as the current production printers). My question is about
actually cutting over to the new server.

Before I do that, do I need to unlist the printers from the directory on the
old production print server and unshare the printers *before* changing it's
name and IP? That's a bit of a pain, because there are
93 printers, and I haven't found a way to do that as a batch, so I'd have to
change each printer definition manually.I don't know how printers are treated
in  the directory - do they have a unique SID like a computer object, and so
just creating a new printer with the same name on a server with the same name
does not mean that it will just work?

Once I unlist and unshare, I should be able to change the name and IP of the
old server; re-assign them to the new printer; list all the new printers in the
directory. And then all should Just Work.

Is that right? Am I missing a step? Do I have a step wrong?

Thanks

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: The information transmitted, or contained or
attached to or with this Notice is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain Protected Health Information (PHI),
confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission,
dissemination, or other use of, and taking any action in reliance upon this
information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient without
the express written consent of the sender are prohibited. This information may
be protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
(HIPAA), and other Federal and Florida laws. Improper or unauthorized use or
disclosure of this information could result in civil and/or criminal penalties.
Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need
to.