On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Michael B. Smith <mich...@smithcons.com> wrote:
> IOW: Security is for the MANAGEMENT of risk and MITIGATION of same. For real
> world systems, and usage of them, there is no such thing as perfect security.

  That's true, too, but the point Munroe is trying to make is that a
lot of people lose track of the forest for the trees.  They get so
caught up in protecting the computer that they forget why they're
protecting it.

  On my home PC, most of the the software I use is free and
unremarkable.  I could rebuild the software configuration from scratch
in a matter of hours.  Why do I care about protecting *that*?

  I don't.  I want to protect my photos, files, bank account, Facebook
account, etc., etc.  All of which are tied into my user account and
who-knows-how-many third-party web sites.  They don't much care about
my admin account.

  But a lot of computer security people focus on protecting the system
privileged account.  For example, I've gotten into strong arguments
with *nix weenies about how protecting the root account is the most
important thing on a system, and that's the fundamental flaw in
Microsoft Windows, or some such thing.  They don't get that the data
in my user account is a lot more valuable than the software install.
They don't get that a worm can propagate from my user account just as
easily.  And as I'm the only user of my home PC, I'm not even
protecting other users from me.  Yah, I protect the root account, but
only as a means to helping protect the stuff I care about.

  I've had the exact same discussion about Windows and UAC.  On this
forum, in fact.  If UAC works perfectly, it successfully protects an
admin account on a throw-away home PC with one user.  Meanwhile, the
malware is quite content to delete/steal all the user's data from
userland, and then propagate to other PCs, again from userland.  It's
mildly useful in helping prevent a reinstall of a bunch of software,
but that's not the high value asset.

  (Protecting system access is rather more relevant in business, where
you've got more than one level of privilege.)

-- Ben