On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Ben Scott <mailvor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Michael B. Smith <mich...@smithcons.com>
> wrote:
> >> IOW: Security is for the MANAGEMENT of risk and MITIGATION of same. For
> real
> >> world systems, and usage of them, there is no such thing as perfect
> security.
> >
> >   That's true, too, but the point Munroe is trying to make is that a
> > lot of people lose track of the forest for the trees.  They get so
> > caught up in protecting the computer that they forget why they're
> > protecting it.
>
> If that's the case, then he didn't make his point at all clear.

It was pretty clear to me, and coincidentally (or not!) his image looks
like a tree.  Nevermind the fact that most professionals are saying don't
run as admin.  OK, so they're not.  Does that mean they are protected?
 Protected from what?  Not getting a more pervasive infection, sure.  But
malware writers are dropping the .exe's in userland and doing stuff with
the data they access.  How do you protect that data, when the person who's
been infected, is the person who needs access to the data?

Thought it was pretty clear, to be honest.