On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Andrew S. Baker <asbz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>  They hit paydirt with "search, don't sort" and "sell user
> >> data/advertising to others, not services to users".
>
> But that wasn't a paradigm shift....

  Seems like it is mostly a discussion about what constitutes a
"paradigm shift", then, because I generally agree with the rest of
your analysis.  :-)  Some of it's quite apt -- especially the bit
about big companies floundering once their core competency market is
saturated and they're forced to branch out.

  A couple small additions:

> Microsoft's advantage was actually APIs upon which rich ecosystems could
> be built by 3rd parties and enterprises.  ... they lost their dominance in
> mobile by not understanding what their strengths really were

  Microsoft's big mistake in the mobile market was making something
that wasn't compatible with their existing stuff.  So when Apple came
along with a more compelling product, there was no reason not to jump
ship.  It wasn't so much that the API wasn't good enough (although
maybe that was a problem, too) but that it was *different*.

  The same will happen with Win 8, I suspect.  They think that putting
Windows Apps on desktop and mobile will mean tons of adoption of the
new Windows Apps platform.  I suspect it will actually mean a white
elephant on the desktop.  I don't think they have any other choice,
though.

> Google is a search company that sells data derived, in part, from search.
> All these other forays into different technologies are just distracting
> them.

  Largely agree, but they've had some success with GMail and GApps.
Of course, even there, a big part of GMail's success was the search
function.

-- Ben