Do you run 24/7?  Do you have customers outside north america?  Do you
require off hours pager support?

I agree you need to plan for coverage, vacation, personal days,
scheduled down time, etc.

Planning 2 per shift (or some form of overlap) allows all the nitty
gritty details to be checked (logs, security, diagnostics, backups, etc)
and would provide an extra person there to bounce ideas off.  It would
also allow much more flexibility to authenticate DR scenarios and
provides additional time to research problems and wait on the phone with
a vendor's tech support.

I would rather have 2 admins per shift that can double as tier II/III
help desk or network guys, then have one burnt out guy per shift and be
left high and dry when they quit (or melt down over a 4 month period).

Klint