We do it with one most of the time, with a second (who is actually
management) trained to step in if an emergency comes up.

"David Lum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
02/12/2008 11:58 AM
Please respond to
"NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>

"NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
cc

Subject
175 servers

Here?s an open-ended question, but with 175 Windows servers, how many
admins would you think it would take to maintain OS images, patches,
availability, installed program updates, as well as other maintenance like
inventory of both hardware and software, as well as troubleshooting
various performance issues? I?m talking admins who?s job would be just to
handle the underlying Windows infrastructure, not the apps running on it
(except for the initial install). FWIW 95% of the servers are local. We
have SMS and WSUS to leverage some of this, but SMS is currently very
underutilized?

I ask because we have about 250 employees ? so a fairly small company, but
we have 175+ Windows servers, plus 4 SAN?s because our main product is
currently web delivered, I?m wondering if we?re overstaffed or
understaffed or someone in the ?normal? range.

I would expect that in a more typical file/print/Exchange/SharePoint
(intranet) environment that 175 servers would mean a few thousand end
users and thus perhaps a dozen IS staff.

Dave Lum  - Systems Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - (971)-222-1025
"When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands"