From: David Lum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:59 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: 175 servers

Here's an open-ended question, but with 175 Windows servers, how many admins
would you think it would take to maintain OS images, patches, availability,
installed program updates, as well as other maintenance like inventory of
both hardware and software, as well as troubleshooting various performance
issues? I'm talking admins who's job would be just to handle the underlying
Windows infrastructure, not the apps running on it (except for the initial
install). FWIW 95% of the servers are local. We have SMS and WSUS to
leverage some of this, but SMS is currently very underutilized.

I ask because we have about 250 employees - so a fairly small company, but
we have 175+ Windows servers, plus 4 SAN's because our main product is
currently web delivered, I'm wondering if we're overstaffed or understaffed
or someone in the "normal" range.

I would expect that in a more typical file/print/Exchange/SharePoint
(intranet) environment that 175 servers would mean a few thousand end users
and thus perhaps a dozen IS staff.

Dave Lum  - Systems Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - (971)-222-1025
"When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands"