From: David Lum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:11 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: If you're monitoring your servers thoroughly....

"If you don't test for it - it's going to fail on you, and you won't know
it." Exactly my point, shouldn't this stuff be monitored already? It
shouldn't matter whether your patching or not, the stuff should be monitored
in-between patching periods anyway.

Kurt - The Practice of System and Network Administration.I've never heard of
that (welcome to my OJT world). This changes the subject, but seems fitting.

My last "real" training  - after getting the little CNA cert in 1995 - was a
couple of Windows NT courses at New Horizons, everything else has been
self-taught - but I'm the kind that needs the formal stuff to fill in blanks
I'm surely missing. My point is,  not being college trained on Systems
Administration I'm not surprised I didn't know about this book. Sure I have
13 years of administration under my belt, but I'd like be more informed
about how to be more systematic about the things I do. This book looks like
a good start. I'm fortysomething and perhaps should finally become a real
System Administrator instead of wingin' it. What other books would you guys
recommend?

I think Server 2008 has enough changes that I should certainly attend some
training on that, I get the feel my company will miss out on the advantages
unless someone knows it real well and points it out..

Sorry to ramble,

Dave Lum  - Systems Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - (971)-222-1025
"When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands"