I like it when we hook up electronics to gas generators.  It helps get
new equipment sooner than you might expect otherwise.  When posible
try and arrange for the oldest crap to get used first :)

Several years ago during the California black outs/rolling power
failures I had a few month contract job at a place.
  Every PC had an APC1000.
  Only half the servers were on UPSs
  None of the networking equipment was on a UPS.
A few weeks worth of work had them all covered though.

Steven Peck
http://www.blkmtn.org