Install it on 2008 core.

From: Carl Houseman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 2:20 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Standalone Hyper-V vs. 2008 Hyper-V

I was asking about standalone Hyper-V some time ago and looks like it's almost
here.

http://windowsitpro.com/mobile/pda/Article.cfm?ArticleID=100238&DepartmentID=723

Meanwhile, I installed Server 2008 for testing and installed the Hyper-V
features and much to my newbie surprise, my 2008 server was not converted to a
virtual instance of itself.  I understand the reason for that now.

The question boils down to, wouldn't I want all instances of servers on a
hardware platform to be running on the "bare metal" hypervisor if possible?
One of the goals of virtualizing is easy portability to run on
alternate/standby hardware, and the 2008 Hyper-V host server isn't portable.
That means not using the host server for anything but a host server, and that's
a waste of a license.

Am I missing anything?  Why would I NOT prefer to use standalone Hyper-V for
all virtualized servers including 2008?

Carl