When I was reading up on things, I would've sworn that OpenOffice's website
said it could be configured via GPO like Office?

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Brutsche [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:34 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: OT: OpenOffice

Third-party plugins. A free office suite is worthless if it can't
interoperate with other applications you have in your environment. 99.9%
of all applications that integrate with an office suite won't work with
anything but a recent MS Office.

Clipart. In the schools I've where attempted to deploy OpenOffice I had
to pull it out in short order due to the lack of available clip art.

Centralised configuration mechanisms aren't built-in. If you need to
force a particular setting (say, use MS Office file formats by default)
and the third-party stuff isn't an option (see below) you're SOL. That's
a biggie in my book.

Granted, there's third-party stuff for that
(http://openofficetechnology.com/), but that's yet another program to
pay for and maintain.

--

Phil Brutsche