Given good technique and proper environment, it should scale better
than linearly, given the same set of technologies. As you point out,
the larger an environment the more likely it is to become more
complex, with more complex application sets, but it should still scale
well, IMHO.

Proper planning prevents poor performance - an excellent maxim.