We all have our own patterns of experience, often much different from each others. Personally, I've only bought WD drives for home for many years, as long as I had a choice. I've never regretted it. Others have been burned by WS, or Seagate, or other you can name. I just know that in my experience, both at home and work, WD has always been by far the most reliable.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Angus Scott-Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:46 PM
Subject: Re: backup for vista

On 9 Nov 2008 at 18:06, Steve Pruitt  wrote:

That does seem to be the way to go. A Western Digital external 500GB is $90, and I prefer theirs for greater reliability. In the meantime, I'll still see
if I can recreate this problem for the Acronis tech support folks without
going through 13 DVDs.

FWIW my son (who now works for Best Buy on the Geek Squad) had major issues with the WD external I gave him for XMas a few years ago, and he found that the WDs commonly had problems due to an inadequate power supply. Once he removed
the drive from the case and plugged it in directly, it worked fine.

Maybe the modern ones are better.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona